Friday, May 30, 2014

New Yarn - Gram/Pittsburgh/Maryland

I've added a bunch of yarn to my stash in 2014.  The majority of it was my Grandmother's.  She liked to make blankets for people in the family and for different charities for children.  She used to use Red Heart, but a few years ago I introduced her to Stylecraft.  I think the local chapter of Project Linus even orders Stylecraft now.  Its super cheap and it the softest acrylic.

I now have 55+ skeins of Stylecraft.

I bought her this Twirl that she started a large blanket with.  I'll finish it eventually.


I think my top 3 colors are:


Emporor



Teal


Plum
This yarn will probably fuel my baby stuff for quite a while.  I have no idea what I want to do with it all just yet.

Now a very luxurious purchase this year was made at Pittsburgh Knit & Crochet.  I saw these two colors of Shalimar Breathless and I knew I had to have them.


The purple is called Heliotrope and the pink is called FairyDust.  They are going to become some sort of striped sweater!  A glorious cashmere and silk sweater for me!  I have a bunch of ideas, but nothing concrete just yet.  I want to finish my first sweater (Aran weight) first.

I also purchased this beauty at Pittsburgh Knit & Crochet.


This beauty is Ball & Skein Glissade in color Mountain Ice.  I bought it to go with a lone skein I bought a couple of years ago.


It is a deep purple called Elderberry that is hard to photograph.  There are plenty of two color shawls that I have in my favorites that these two can become, Bolt maybe?

Maryland Sheep & Wool was a fun time this year.  I went knowing that I didn't have a ton to spend and that I just wanted to enjoy the experience.

I saw plenty of adorable sheep:


The first item that caught my eye was a kit that Ellen's Half Pint Yarn was selling.



The kit contained two 50g skeins and a pattern.  I'm not sure if I'm going to use the pattern, but this kit meant a lot to me.  It was $25 and all of the profits ($15) went to cancer research.  It put a smile on my face for the rest of the day.

I did know that I wanted to purchase yarn for a Shawl that Jazz from Blue Moon Fiber Arts on this trip.  Many of my friends from my knit night have made this shawl.  Those same friends purchased more yarn to make another.  It has become an unofficial KAL.  I chose the color Royal.


There was a different color I spotted first with purple and grey, but once I saw this one all bets were off.  It is so pretty.  I wound one hank of the yarn immediately that night.


The ball was ginormous! :-)

The next day of the festival we went to see the sheep herding demonstration.  These dogs were amazing!



I did splurge on the last day and get a kit from Miss Babs.  It is the Perfectly Wreckless kit.  It has beautiful purples, orange, pink, and green.



That pretty much sums up all of my new yarn in 2014.  Did you find anything awesome this year? Splurge?

Sam <3

1 comment: