Wednesday, October 26, 2011

WIP Wednesday

I'm going to try and participate in WIP Wednesday and FO Friday as often as possible. I may not have anything to show you on Fridays, but I have too many works-in-progress so Wednesdays will be a piece of cake.

I have a new project that kind of happened by accident.  My Grandma Donna has been making blankets for each of her grandchildren.  Hannah, one of my cousins said that she really liked orange and my Grandma wanted to do something different.  I found this pattern, Teen Throw, and Hannah and my Gram both liked it.  Once I printed out the pattern and started going over the instructions with my Gram I realized my mistake.  My Gram doesn't really feel comfortable reading patterns or working in the round.  This throw is done in nine pieces and all of them are worked in the round.

I managed to teach my Gram how to do the rectangular grannys that are the sides.  She loves those now and might eventually make a rectangular granny blanket.  Here's the picture from Caron's website showing those pieces.

Copyright 2011 Caron International Yarns

I have already done the 4 heart appliques and the center square. I don't have a picture of the hearts, but I do have one of the center square.





This was a pain in the tush to do. I had to learn how to do surface slip stitching. I can see my joins in the green, but hopefully it isn't too noticeable. The hearts were even worse to do. It doesn't look like a heart until almost the very end. The entire time I was second guessing myself that I was doing them wrong. I have to do the four corner squares for my Gram and then she will put it together and do the border. Its kind of nice having a joint project.

I have plenty of other WIPs that I can show you, but I think you've seen them all and most of them haven't changed. I have 66 squares done of my Grandma Betty's blanket. Last I showed you I had 47 squares done. I think I might buy more yarn for it. The pattern calls for 7x11 squares and I don't like how skinny that would be. I was going to do 8x10, but there are a couple really dark squares that I'd really like to remove. If I had about 2 more skeins, that would make me happy.

Don't forget to check out everyone else's WIPs over at Tami's Amis.

Sam :-)

PS.  By the way, I guess this joint WIP IS MY GRAM'S AFGHAN!!!!

7 comments:

  1. Ah, I love the idea of a joint project with your gran, that's so sweet :) Great colours too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an amazing-looking afghan square!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That square is impressive to say the least!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of a joint project with your grandma - I wish I had done a project like that when mine was still alive. I don't see any issues - stop pointing out the mistakes, and no one will notice them :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of a joint project. I can't do that with my grandmothers, but I could do that with my mom--I think I will try.

    That center square looks impressive, I'm not surprised it was involved!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea of a joint afghan with your Gram: how cool is that :-) Love that orange color,too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so lucky to have a Gram to do this with! The orange and green are out-of-this-world gorgeous!!
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete