Monday, February 13, 2012

My Weekend Part 1 - Pittsburgh Knit & Crochet Festival

Saturday, Heather (Amaryllis Musings) and I went to the Knit & Crochet Festival.  We had a blast to say the least.



There was so much to look at, we didn't know where to start.  Like the engineers we are, we established a plan, go around the perimeter then the inside.



Thankfully I have my handy dandy booklet with me while I type this up, so I can tell you that booth 27 with those beautiful pieces is Stitch Your Art Out. (Okay to be honest I had set aside all of my paperwork for this so I could refer to it while writing, but I forgot it and Heather gave me the booth name because she was prepared haha)



My first purchase!!!  Its a beautiful cashmere blend with purples and pinks.  It is totally me!!  It is Ball and Skein yarn.  It is called Aurora.  It must be new because I couldn't find it on their website.  I got a pattern to go with this yarn too.  



Its a cowl, the Cream and Sugar Cowl, to be more specific.  I'll be jumping from beginner knitter to cables!!! Yikes!


Heather got a better picture of the cowl.  Not sure how she did it because there were loads of people at this booth.




Here is one of the skeins of sock yarn Heather bought:




It is from Claudia Hand Painted Yarns and it is a beautiful teal color.  Heather got some other colors too, you'll have go see them at her post.


Next up is my second purchase.




This is a gorgeous luxurious yarn.  It is the brand Hand Maiden Fine Yarn and the name of the yarn is Marrakesh.  It is 70% silk and 30% baby camel.  How cool is that?!  I got it because of this sweater that they had made in it.








I was told that even a beginner can make this sweater and that there is nothing complicated about it.  Plus, it only needed that one skein!


They had beautiful yarn, just look at all of the pretty colors they had!






Next up, was the booth for SpaceCadet Creations.  Their yarn was so pretty.







Look!  It sparkles!!!






I bought a skein of the sparkly yarn.  The yarn is called Lucina.  I bought the color called Pride.  Surprisingly it isn't shown in the pictures above.  I really wanted to go out of my normal color palette (Purples, pinks, purply pinks, etc).  I really do love color in general, but the color I bought I don't normally go for, but is just so PRETTY.




Its an orange-y color.  Again, its called Pride, but it could easily be called sunrise or sunset.  That's what it reminds me of.


My next, and final purchase was at Blue Heron Yarns.  I was very indecisive about this one.  I had already spent A LOT of money.  So, Heather and I went to lunch and I kept thinking about it over lunch.  I decided that I wanted a skein of their new 100% bamboo yarn.  It isn't even in Ravelry yet.


I narrowed my decision down to these two:




I decided to get this one:




The colors are just amazing!  Greens, purples, blues... It is lace weight and I have no idea what I want to do with it.


Another booth I really wanted to highlight was Robyn Chachula's booth (She earned bonus points in my book because when I looked her up I found out she is an engineer! woot)  Her crochet designs were amazing.  I would use and wear her what she creates.  She has plenty of trendy items.  I fell in love with her Sunflower Jumper.




I could see myself wearing this with a long sleeve t-shirt underneath, leggings, and boots.  I don't know if I'll ever take the time to make it, but I admired it for a long time.


I also picked up a card for one of her upcoming books that I'm pretty excited about. 




Heather and I had a really good time talking to her about what's going on in crochet, pesky things like joining and gauge (gauge scares me....A LOT), and the festival in general.


Eventually Heather and I made our way to a table to "assess the damage" of our purchases.



This was my haul and I'm in LOVE with all of it.  I got patterns to go with the green and purple skein and last night I found a pattern for my sparkly yarn (I'll show it to you some other time, this is already a miles long post).  The only one I have to keep searching for is my bamboo lace, upper right.



Heather's haul.



Heather, while she was arranging her yarn.



I tried to get a picture of us with the sign in the background...it didn't really work.



Good picture...but my glasses are crooked, so we tried again.







Some nice lady at the hotel took our picture for us.

Whew! This was a long post. I really had a lot of fun and will definitely do it again!

Check out Heather's post about the event here.

Sam <3

2 comments:

  1. I would get in so much trouble! Good choices... everything looks beautiful. I especially love that Sunflower Jumper. Of course, I've decided I tend to gravitate towards that color no matter the pattern =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness.. what a great show and how fun to have a friend with you that loves yarn as much as you do! Can't wait to see what you do with it!
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete